Knee pain among patients over 60 years old is among the three reasons patients come to see a doctor in their lifetime. Pain over the knee is usually associated with cracking sound, swelling stiffness and niggling type of pain.
Pain over the knee is usually worsened by increased strain, walking up stairs, and doing more physical activity than normal.
The top 5 things that can be done before seeing your medical practitioner are
- Alternating Cold and Warm Packing- Not more than 15 minutes with being cautious on the skin surface
2. Over the counter pain relievers like acetaminophen (Paracetamol), Creams , Plasters and Pain killer sprays
3. Stretching and Strengthening knee exercises, especially against mild resistance – Follow Bob and Brad’s Youtube channel for perfect home remedies
4. Rest and Limitation of exertional activity -Modify time and gradual increase the level of endurance
5. Low Impact Exercise eg swimming, cycling, brisk walking (Only if the pain is not acute )
For more of such medical fun facts please follow and subscribe to channels and websites and socials eg Facebook, Youtube and Instagram.
Another fun fact post by Dr Sanjiv Rampal Orthopaedic Consultant ,Petaling Jaya Kuala Lumpur